Google It

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Of Dying and Living

Teach us to number our days aright,
that we may gain a heart of wisdom.
–Psalms 90:12


The news of Michael Jackson's untimely demise came as a shockwave throughout the world. People thought that MJ will live long enough to finish his series of comeback concerts which is to start on July. Our very own Charice Pempengco is supposed to perform a dance showdown with him. Unfortunately, that will never happen. MJ died at the age of 50 in his home.

MJ's sudden death reminded me of Francis Magalona. For those of you who do not know him, his the King of Philippine Rap. He popularized a nationalistic rap song, Mga Kababayan, which speaks about being proud of your color and upholding good Filipino values of love and respect for family and fellowmen. (I remember watching a sing and dance contests of it in Eat Bulaga when I was very young.) A promising photographer, a father of 7 wonderful children and a loving husband. He succumbed to leukemia last March 2009 at the age of 44.

These deaths made me reflect on my own life. And this morning when I open my email, I received my usual daily God's messages from Bro. Bo Sanchez. The topic is timely -- Live like a Dying Man. I know most of us will avoid discussing it, let alone think about it. For parents, we often believe that we will live long enough to see our children grow up and have their own families. For the young ones, we believe that we'll die of old age. It isn't a question of HOW LONG we will live. It is a question of HOW WELL we spend our lives. If you knew that you only have 30 days left, how will you spend it? Br. Bo's article (http://bosanchez.ph/live-like-a-dying-man/) guides us to a 30-day retreat of what it means to die and to live. I invite you to join me in this activity. Think of it as God's invitation to get to know Him more.

Regard each day as if it were your last. It is a morose thought but I think it will make us appreciate our lives more, particularly the people around us. Treasure each day and pursue activities that will make your last days meaningful. Believe me, you'll be a happier person when you do that.

May the souls of our loved ones who have gone ahead of us, and the souls of all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment